What makes Intuitive Birth special?
In addition to providing doula services herself, Merrie also trains doulas who work for Intuitive Birth. The training process is unlike any other doula agency or collective out there, with each doula receiving about 100+ hours of experience before attending a birth solo. Here's how Intuitive Birth Doulas are trained:
1) Each doula is given hands-on training in the birth room by attending births with Merrie. This way each doula becomes skilled in:
- Ideal positions for laboring mother and her partner, and using laboring positions to continue dilation
- Comfort measures (specific massage, counter pressure/hip squeeze, muscle release, etc.)
- Helping turn babies if position is not optimal
- Competent knowledge of medical processes and interventions when it becomes desired or necessary (epidurals, induction methods, narcotics, etc.)
- Appropriate and congenial interaction with hospital or birth center staff
- Realistic birth room experience
- Breastfeeding knowledge and support
- Newborn care knowledge and support
3) Intuitive Birth Doulas have phone access to Merrie at all times, used for advice or guidance if needed in cases of challenging labors.
Each doula package includes:
- One free consultation
- 2+ prenatal visits to help form a detailed birth plan, education on stages of labor, specific desires and concerns surrounding the birth and baby care in order to provide catered care for the upcoming birth
- Help writing and reviewing a birth plan/preferences
- Unlimited contact by phone or email throughout pregnancy and entire nursing relationship
- Access to library regarding birth, nursing, postpartum, and children's health.
- On-call 24/7 beginning 3 weeks before due date until baby arrives
- Continual labor support (whether at home and/or hospital) whenever requested, unlimited hours
- Postpartum care and breastfeeding help immediately after birth of baby
- One postpartum home visit within two weeks of birth, and more if nursing/newborn help is needed
- Continuous breastfeeding support throughout entire nursing relationship.
- Take pictures during the labor process and birth of baby, if desired